So I volunteered to try to find the who this ring belongs
too. I first took some pictures of the front of the ring and the inside of the
ring because my eyes aren’t what they use to be.
I saw that she graduated in 1983 and her name was on the inside
engraved.
The first thing I did was look up in Newspapers.com and the woman’s
name and put the year of 1983 and the county that the high school was located
in. it returned on match and the woman’s name shows that she did graduate in
1983 at that high school.
Next, I went to Ancestry.com and did a general search for
the woman using her first and last name and I estimated her birth date base on
her graduation year and put in location as just my county and state. This
brought back a couple of matches, one for a marriage that occurred in Dec 1983 and
another for a divorce in 1988. It also had a newspaper index that was for the
divorce and listed a town she was living in at the time.
I decided to google her married name with born 1965 and
listed the town and state that she was living in at the time of her divorce. My
“people search” websites came up and one I could see had her maiden, married
and another married name.
I returned to Ancestry.com and using the card catalog, I
decided to find the Wisconsin Marriage records, and clicked on the one for
1802-2015. I put her new married name in the first last name field, and then
under the spouse I put her first name. The result was her marriage to her second
husband showing her maiden name that match her previous marriage record.
I brought up the hint, and click on her spouse’s name and
saw the US Index to Public Records, 1994-2019 database. I clicked on this hint
and it gave me their last address as living there from 2018-2020.
I went back to the previous “people search” result and it
also reported the same address.
I used Google once more and put in the address from above. Zillow
reported that this house was last sold in 2018. Therefore, I could write her a
letter and tell her I have her class ring. However, I decided to see if I could
find her on Facebook. I typed her first name, her current married name and the
town she lives in. This brought back only one result and what I could see in
her “about me”, this was the correct person.
I reached out through Facebook messaging tell her I am
looking for “gave the name on the ring” who graduated in 1983 from “gave the
name of the school” and informed her that my neighbor has possession of her class
ring. I asked if this was her and if she wanted her ring back, please reply. I also
included the three pictures of the ring that I took, two were of her engraved name.
Within an hour, she replied that was her ring. We messaged back
and forth a little more and are planning to meet next weekend to return the
ring.
It is very rewarding to know that my genealogy skills was
able to reunite a class ring back to it’s owner. Also, that my skills actually
found the person I wanted to find.
Remember to have fun and just do Genealogy!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.