Monday, April 22, 2024

The Year Ahead – April 22

In the January/February 2024 issue of Family Tree Magazine, they have introduced The Year Ahead, 366 genealogy tips will make 2024 your best research year yet by Lisa A Alzo. Lisa mapped out a day-by-day research plan.

April 22 – Celebrate Earth Day by finding ways to cut back on paper in your research.

If like me, you started genealogy before personal computers were a thing, you might find it hard to not print out everything. However, since I have a computer background, I took the leap to saving digitally many moons ago. However, there are some things that I still like to have paper for. To-do-list are one. I like writing down what my goals are, the steps to achieve the goals and then crossing off the items.

Error reports are handy to print out and then cross off the name as errors are fixed.

I also use a scrap piece of paper to leave myself a note of where I left off on my research. I could use the task area of my genealogy program, but I find paper so much easier. I am currently researching all the descendants of one of my 3rd great grandparents. I like to research the descendants similar to an outline descendant report, where I find all the children of a couple, then move to the oldest and find all their children, and move down until I get to the present-day descendants. I try to find all the vital information about each person. I repeat this up and down process until I have found all the children of the present-day descendants before moving to a sibling and repeating the process. Thus, my scrap piece of paper lets me know what person I am on.

Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.