Friday, February 2, 2024

The Year Ahead – February 2

In the January/February 2024 issue of Family Tree Magazine, they have introduced The Year Ahead, 366 genealogy tips will make 2024 your best research year yet by Lisa A Alzo. Lisa mapped out a day-by-day research plan.

February 2 – Feeling in a rut, like Bill Murray in “Groundhog Day”? Save yourself from running the same ancestor searches over and over again by consulting your research log.

I find this very helpful. I like not only consulting my research log, but I even change gears and look at my entire tree as a whole. Since I started my genealogy journey over 40 years ago and I have been using Family Tree Maker since 1997, the program has expanded and information is entered differently today than back then. Plus, I wasn’t using source citations in the past. Thus, I could just pick a random person and review their data. Does every fact have a source? If not, can I find a source for this fact. Is the fact entered the way I want. For example, does the location only have a city, county, state information or do I have a cemetery location in a burial fact location field. I now put that information into the description field. Back in 1997, there was only person notes. Now there are notes for every fact. Do I have any person notes that would be better in a different fact note? Do I have any tasks for future research. Sometimes looking at a different problem for even a day can help 

Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.