Tuesday, February 6, 2024

The Year Ahead – February 6

In the January/February 2024 issue of Family Tree Magazine, they have introduced The Year Ahead, 366 genealogy tips will make 2024 your best research year yet by Lisa A Alzo. Lisa mapped out a day-by-day research plan.

February 6 – Create a travel-friendly research binder that includes: copies of your charts; your to-do-list; a list of alternate spellings for surnames and places; and blank pages for note-taking.

In this day an age of technology, you might wonder why do I need paper copies. Many courthouses won’t allow you to bring in anything but pencil and paper. Your phone, computer and other electronic devices will need to be kept outside the research room. 

I start with a research folder. When I find something that I need to actually visit in-person, because it is not available on-line, I will print out a page with the index I found. I make sure I also add it to my to-do-list. Then when I go to the repository, I bring my folder, a spiral notebook, several pencils, an eraser, along with anything else I might find useful. I also have a dedicated bag for carry these items. I even have some business cards, with my name, email address, my city and state along with my twitter (now known as X) name and website address. You never know who you might run into and want to give this information to. Leave your pens and highlighters at home. 

Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.