Friday, September 13, 2024

The Year Ahead – September 13

In the January/February 2024 issue of Family Tree Magazine, they have introduced The Year Ahead, 366 genealogy tips will make 2024 your best research year yet by Lisa A Alzo. Lisa mapped out a day-by-day research plan.

September 13 – Search the attic (or ask a relative) for overlooked home sources such as autograph albums, address books and checkbook registers.

I think back to when I first started my genealogy research, back in the 1980’s has a young woman and really didn’t know where to look for home sources. My mother had a family bible that she had filled in genealogy pages with her and her first husband’s genealogy. This was my starting point for my mother’s side of the family. I asked my father, her second and last husband, directly for his genealogy and lucky for me that he knew a lot. His aunts were still alive and I wrote them for information. They lived out of state, otherwise, I would have visited them in person. I found that letters were often ignored in my early days of research. Perhaps I asked for too much and they put the letter aside until they had more time to answer.

My suggestion: Visit people in person, if possible, if sending email, calling or writing, don’t overwhelm them with lots of questions, keep your request to one or two questions. You can ask if they think they have anything that might help you in your research and then list items, such as bibles, scrapbooks, photo albums, and such. Don’t expect them to just hand over the items, offer to visit them and you will scan (take pictures with your phone) of the items. Offer to take them out for lunch or dinner as a thank you. While there, don’t forget to ask if they know where their love ones are buried. You will be amazed how many will like to take a drive out to the local cemetery.

Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.