Saturday, January 13, 2024

The Year Ahead – January 13

In the January/February 2024 issue of Family Tree Magazine, they have introduced The Year Ahead, 366 genealogy tips will make 2024 your best research year yet by Lisa A Alzo. Lisa mapped out a day-by-day research plan.

January 13 – File any loose documents in your family history binder or file folders.

Wow, this is big one. I have piles of loose documents and notes. Things I started and didn’t finish. YIKES, I see a new shiny bright object and I would throw down my current research to follow that shiny bright object. 

To help me avoid, doing this, I use my Task list and my research notes in my Family Tree Maker software to write down that shiny object, so I can follow it a different day. I might make a digital copy of that website, document, and place it into a “working” or “further research” folder, so that I can find it later.

I have slowly started going through my old piles of loose documents and I make sure I have the information into my tree, that I have properly sourced that information. I will make a digital copy of that document, if I don’t already have it. I will then decide if I need the paper copy (is it an original such as a vital record or marriage invitation) and file it or shred it if not needed because it’s not an original item.

Basically, I developed knew procedures when I do research. This has reduced the number of loose copies I have. It has helped me stay more focus on the current research project/goal. As for those shiny bright objects, they still occur but I have not let it derail my current research project/goal.

Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.