Wednesday, January 17, 2024

The Year Ahead – January 17

In the January/February 2024 issue of Family Tree Magazine, they have introduced The Year Ahead, 366 genealogy tips will make 2024 your best research year yet by Lisa A Alzo. Lisa mapped out a day-by-day research plan.

January 17 – Make a list of vital records you need. Check each states office’s website for record locations, fees and forms. 

In my genealogy software package of Family Tree Maker, I can make to-do-list and categorize the item. Here is an example of a Death Certificate to-do-list I created for my 2nd great grandmother. I marked it completed and added the note of “obtained copy”. If I don’t find it, I can write, not found. This to-do-list helps me create travel days in my state. If I get enough items for a county, I might plan a day trip to do some in-person research.

I even create General Task for each County Courthouse, with the address, the room number, their hours. I have been adding phone numbers and websites to the task so that I can verify hours or call ahead of time to make sure they will be open.


For more remote Vital Records offices, I might have their website for ordering copies and the cost of the copies. Even though many county offices use Vitalchek to obtain copies, some still will have the option to mail in a form with your check or money order, along with a copy of your official ID. Working directly with some county offices is cheaper however it might be slower.

Another option is to see if there is a local Historical Society or Genealogical Society who might have members who will obtain these copies for you for a small donation or fee. 

Remember, not everything is available on-line, perhaps only an index is available and there is no way to know if you are looking at accurately transcribed information.

Remember to have fun and Just Do Genealogy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.