Saturday, June 8, 2024

The Year Ahead – June 8

In the January/February 2024 issue of Family Tree Magazine, they have introduced The Year Ahead, 366 genealogy tips will make 2024 your best research year yet by Lisa A Alzo. Lisa mapped out a day-by-day research plan.

June 8 – For National best Friend Day, write a biography of one of your ancestor’s best friends (or of your own buddy).


My best friend growing up was Alyson. Actually, I still consider her my best friend. She lived around the corner from me. Her house was on the way when going to elementary school. Thus, I always stopped and picked her up. Her father was an ice cream salesman and her mother did the books for him. One section of their huge living room was their office. 

Alyson came from a large family, and so did I. She was the second youngest. She had three brothers and four sisters. Her oldest brother, Marc Mercury (not his birthname) was a stunt actor and in fact, was Don Johnson’s stunt double for Miami Vice. He also appeared in Smokey and the Bandit as one of the football players that Burt Reynolds played against. I only met this brother once and it was during the Miami vice (years) and yes, he looked very much like him. Don and Marc are still friends and race boats together.

Alyson has been married twice; she has two sons with her first husband. Her current husband and her have two cats and one dog. She was a Food Service Director in Fond du Lac County and retired last year. Her and her husband like to go camping during the summer. She was the maid of honor at my wedding and is my oldest child’s godmother. In fact, when my daughter was about five years old, Alyson spent the day with her and had my daughter’s ears pierced without telling or asking me. She was a rascal. I will always remember her red Nova that she drove when we were teenagers. I think she got the car from one of her brothers.

In 2014, I lived in Arizona and had a 2nd home for summers in Fond du Lac. My husband, youngest daughter and I were up during one weekend in February so that my daughter could try for a scholarship at a college in Wisconsin. Fond du Lac has what I consider one of the best pizza places around and we decided to eat there one night. We parked across the street and walked into the place. A few minutes later, I get a text from Alyson asking if that was me walking across Main Street. My daughter explained that best friends can spot you a mile away. She was so right. We met up later at a local bar down the street that was having a Kiss Tribute band playing. That is Alyson’s favorite band. 

Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.