Friday, March 8, 2024

The Year Ahead – March 8

 In the January/February 2024 issue of Family Tree Magazine, they have introduced The Year Ahead, 366 genealogy tips will make 2024 your best research year yet by Lisa A Alzo. Lisa mapped out a day-by-day research plan.

March 8 – What'll happen to your research when you're gone? Arrange to leave it to a relative or a historical society.

If you are leaving it to a family relative, place place a note stating this in a place that people will find it. If you want to leave it with a historical society or similiar archive, please contact them ahead of time and verify that they will take your collection. Again, leave a note stating this, so that your relatives who are handling your estate will know what to do with it.

When I use to volunteer at my local genealogical library, I saw many relatives who donated their families history to our library. These treasures sat in boxes, to not see the light of day again. We also obtained donations after they tried the local Family History Library who didn't want these unorganized collections.

Thus, I have decided, I want to start creating family history books. My books will be descendant books starting with the immigrant ancestor and trying to find all their descendants. I have started working on my first such book, and I am in the research stage. After I have tried my best to find all the descendants, I am going to turn to DNA, AncestryDNA has Thrulines and I will see who they have identified as descendants of this couple. I will see if I have already found them while researching. I am going to identify they in my book as a DNA match to myself or one of my siblings. If they aren't in my tree, I will have to research them to verify that ThruLines has placed them in the proper place.

Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.