Saturday, August 24, 2024

The Year Ahead – August 24

In the January/February 2024 issue of Family Tree Magazine, they have introduced The Year Ahead, 366 genealogy tips will make 2024 your best research year yet by Lisa A Alzo. Lisa mapped out a day-by-day research plan.

August 24 – Learn to craft source citations for those articles you found through PERSI. Citations guru Elizabeth Shown Mills has suggestions at www.evidenceexplained.com.

Don’t be afraid of being perfect with your citations. I know that my citations might not be academically perfect, but I try my best. If I can find the source again using my citation, then I know I have all the necessary information. I do go to this website, if I have a new source and I am unsure what I need to capture.

For example, on their Find A Grave’s citation, I don’t have exactly everything they include. However, it states that at the bottom of each memorial is a new link that when clicked gives you a source citation. I didn’t know that. How, simple is that?

My advice to everyone, learn to craft source citations, keep a sample of each type of citation you craft and be consistent with future citations. Before you know it, your citations will become easier. My genealogy software program makes it easy for me to find a previous source citation and to copy and reuse it as a template for future citations.

Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.