Thursday, July 11, 2024

The Year Ahead – July 11

In the January/February 2024 issue of Family Tree Magazine, they have introduced The Year Ahead, 366 genealogy tips will make 2024 your best research year yet by Lisa A Alzo. Lisa mapped out a day-by-day research plan.

July 11 – For World Population Day, hone your international research sills by perusing records from an ancestral country. The FamilySearch Wiki has guides to help you start www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Guided_Research_for_Online_Records

I looked up Ireland and then Catholic, followed by Marriage and it gave a link to FindMypast which supposedly is free. I typed in my desired surname and it came up with a link to view 51 results. It prompted me to sign up for free to see them. I already had a free login account; thus, I used that one. It did show me the 51 results with a image and transcription icon link to the right of each item. I first click on the image and it was very difficult to read the fancy handwriting, but not impossible. My person was on the bottom of the page and it didn’t have any defined columns.

The transcription of the record looked very nice with a link to the National Library of Ireland register. However, no parents were listed and thus, if I already knew their marriage date, it might be helpful. Especially if I didn’t have the female’s surname. However, since it is only listed as the Spouse’s last name, this could be a previous married name or the women’s maiden name.

The link took me to the beginning of the microfilm collection and thus I would have to page to the spot in the microfilm to see my person. Using FindMyPast was easier, since I didn’t have to scroll through all the pages, through different parishes to finally find it on page 91 where the entry was recorded.

Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, however all comments must be approved before posting. Thank you for your understanding.